Saturday, August 13, 2011

5 Days of Art - Part 2: Leather Arm Bands

I've made leather arm bands and cuffs before and I love upcycling projects. I enjoy turning old belts into cool new arm bands but this time the project was just a little bit different. This time I took out some metal letter stamps that I've had forever and used them to hammer words and scriptures into my bands of leather.

 This one has one word "Forgiven" on one side with a silver snap closure. I accentuated the lettering and textures by rubbing black paint into the crevices then I roughed it up using coarse sandpaper for a more earthy and rustic feel.


 This one is similar but without any holes punched in it and it has the words "Not ashamed of the gospel of Christ" on it.


 I also did a couple that were really long (almost 30") strips that wrap around your wrist and secure with snap closures. This one is the Proverbs band. Proverbs 16:9 A man's heart plans his way but the Lord directs his steps, and Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart.


P.S. This one sold within 15 minutes of listing it in my Etsy shop! Awesome!

 And this one is the John 3:16 bracelet "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have life everlasting"
 I also love the simplicity and urban look of this last one. I used part of a belt buckle and sewed a strip of the soft green leather to one side and fastened it with a snap closure on the other side.
Now I'm on the lookout for old belts and more scrap leather to create with, so if you were thinking of taking any to Goodwill.... hint,hint. ;)


No comments: