Thursday, May 7, 2015

Colorful Abstract Flower Painting


I call this piece my Joyful Flower Garden.



If you are a creative type of person, let me ask you this. Have you ever just "needed" to create something. Like you need a drink of water on a hot day. The urge just hits you and you need to paint or draw or sculpt or stop everything and turn the idea that is screaming to get out of your mind into reality.

If so, you can relate to how I felt when I sat down and covered my kitchen table with newspapers, tore open an empty cereal box to use as a paint palette and primed a canvas to begin painting this week.

The picture of these color combinations and these abstract circular flowers had been on my mind. I was feeling like I was running a hundred miles an hour in ten different directions with so many things happening in our lives at the moment and I needed a little escape. A happy place. I needed to get lost just for a moment in the blissful blending of colors and the exquisite experience of creating.

Every time I look at my Joyful Flower Garden painting, it makes me smile.

Here are some snapshots of the painting process:


One of the fascinating things about this painting's progression was how my creation of the negative spaces was just as significant as the creation of positive spaces. 


Today I will choose Joy.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people just exist." - Oscar Wilde

No comments: